Purple Shyx

Login or Register to find one!
Page: 1
sindis
User
26 posts
what is a soul, in your personal opinion? does it exist? if so, in what way? remember that the concept of the soul isn't limited to religious views

to me, a soul is born as a manifestation of both the body and the mind. It is overestimated by religion and undermined by science, and hence cannot be labeled as either material or divine. the soul is part of the psyche, and it develops as its human counterpart reaches new levels of emotional and mental maturity. so as the mind opens and grows, so too will the "soul," or the "self".

opinions/thoughts
Last edited, Dec 11th 2010 @ 10:27 pm
Pigeon
User
472 posts

I do not believe in such a thing as the soul.
Religion and science is something humans have created to better explain circumstances that would otherwise be terrifying. Humans are nothing more than what they are; humans. Humans are animals. We are nothing more than animals. We endlessly complicate things by trying to make everything have some moral or philosophical or supernatural value.
All I believe in is how humans are - how they act and interact with other people. That's the only thing I ever really 'believe' in.

sindis
User
26 posts
you imply that life is simple. i have to disagree.

science is not something we've created - it will exist regardless. we've only given it a name. and what's wrong with philosophical/scientific pursuits? would you rather people live in ignorance?

no: science, art and philosophy bring enlightenment. without it, we become dull and empty.
the ability to find fulfillment is what separates humans from animals. behavior/divine essence is of no import.
Pigeon
User
472 posts

The ability to find fulfillment is what separates humans from animals.

Humans are mammals. Mammals are animals. Therefore, we are animals.

I am not implying that life is simple (though, you have assumed that I have given such an implication), only that humans have made life way more complex than we have had to. And because we have things like philosophy and science, I believe that we've made it harder to live life and to enjoy it.

I have nothing against science or philosophy. Would I be called a hypocrite if I said that I enjoy indulging in either occasionally? Well, whatever. It's just because we have such things that make life harder to live, since some people are always trying to find answers that, if answered, might have not been important in the least.

Getting off track. LOL I suck at debating. Please excuse me for my bad attempts.

I still don't believe in the 'soul'.
But that doesn't mean I deny the ability of the 'human' capacity to love, hate, etc etc. I just do not believe in the 'soul' partition.
Fake
User
293 posts
I believe that the soul is what people call brain waves. Not some sort of religious thing, but what is part of your creation. Those brain waves are what control what you do; this may also be considered saying that I don't believe in souls. But at the same time I do. D: *torn*
This whole post will be ignored, so there's no use for having this here.
sindis
User
26 posts
@Pigeon:

And because we have things like philosophy and science, I believe that we've made it harder to live life and to enjoy it.

that is ridiculous. complexity is not a bad thing, it is actually what makes life worth living.

what is enjoying the pleasures of life when you only have limited intellect? sex, food and worldly pleasures can only be enjoyed fully if you're enlightened, or if you're on your way.
intelligence, as brought on by philosophy and science, carries complexity and depth. with complexity, you are able to experience a variety of emotions that a simpleton cannot.

and yes, humans are animals, but only to an extent. we have the capacity to transcend that title and achieve and experience what dogs and cats cannot. that is evolution.

@Fake: I translated what you said this time, but please be more considerate in your next post. I don't want to have to open Microsoft word every time you make a point.
And could you elaborate on "brain waves"? Are they something mystical/spiritual or the exact scientific definition? If the latter, then how can it be a soul?
Last edited, Dec 26th 2010 @ 9:46 pm
Parody
User
213 posts
If "enlightenment" brings happiness, then why is there an old cliche that says "ignorance is bliss?" In fact, intelligence and happiness levels are a lot like intelligence and money levels: if you have too little, you aren't happy, if you have too much, you aren't happy, but if you have juuuust the right amount, you're golden.

So I really don't believe you have to be incredibly intelligent to be happy; I don't know where you're getting that, lol. Most of the idiots I know are ridiculously happy because they don't worry about the things that more intelligent people worry about. They don't question their existence or beat themselves up because they have some huge moral disagreement or some philosophy they've been carrying their whole life has been disproven.

I think "souls" are a bunch of crock, honestly. I think they're what comes about when people over-analyze themselves and believe that humans have some higher meaning. Yes, we function higher than other animals, but that doesn't separate the fact that we ARE animals. We are just a much higher functioning species. We are "special," but not because we have "souls." It's because we have developed highly structured societies, verbal language, higher brain function, etc.

Your version of a "soul" sounds really Freudian, and I don't really agree with a lot of his ideas. Honestly, I think you're over-analyzing human existence with it. I agree with Chad: humans try to make the world way too complex.

By the way, I just wanted to say that your statement directed at Fake was, to me, a bit rude. Nothing in Fake's post is misspelled and the grammar is solid. I don't see anything about it that needs "translating."
Page: 1
- Login or register to reply to join in on Verpets forum discussions! -