Yoshika
Elite User
2,058 posts
edited out because I was dumb :C
Last edited, Mar 30th 2013 @ 7:11 pm
capri41
Elite User
360 posts
I do think saying that something's 'so gay' is offensive. I also think saying something is 'retarded' is offensive. I will get extremely annoyed and will most likely never talk to you again if you use either. Btw, paragraph 7 cracked me up. xD But anyways, I also find it offensive that people hate on others for being different. Example: I am......bigger than others, and I am put down on it. Jeez, I don't care about trends and such. I am who I am. Why should they be someone they aren't?

That felt awesome to post. :'D
Last edited, Aug 13th 2011 @ 9:53 pm
Brijearin
Elite User
574 posts
I personaly find people saying "That is so gay" to be offensive. Now understand, I myself am not homosexual. But I do have friends that are. The best way I can put this so people understand why I find this offensive is saying it's the same thing as saying something is "retarded". You wouldn't say that if there was someone that was mentaly handicaped there to hear, afraid of being called rude or a jerk. Sadly with some mental handicaps there are some outward signs people can pick up on, to tell them if they are around someone that will take a personal offense to the comment. With homosexuals, there is no way of knowing who is and who isn't. I would never use the "N" word, out of respect for anyone with african heritage, so why would I use "gay" knowing it can be just as offensive to homosexuals? To me saying "That's so stupid" is better, since stupid is something that does not insult just one group of people, it's not tied to one group or used to degrade one section of society.

As for things I think are personaly offensive, there isn't much. My biggest problem is men that feel that simply because they are male, they have the right to call a woman any name they feel like, some less then respecatable in society. To me there is no call for this, no reason to make it all right. Regardless of if she is all right with it, if you are calling a woman a name ment to degrade women out in public, expect someone to take offense.

I also can not stand the people that think just because they have reached a certain age they can use any kind of language they would like. I work in a child friendly place, a family resturant, and to hear some of the younger people swearing all the time, often right in front of children, I find offensive. Simply because, to me in this day and age, we find kids growing up to fast as it is. How about we don't help them along in growing up too fast?
Shame
Elite User
2,287 posts
Saying that something is 'gay' as an insult is something I find to be insulting, but not something I get overly angry about. As for retarded, I say it myself but personally, I don't link that word with mentally challenged people since I find using the word in that way is more offensive. I use retarded like I use stupid, no neither are nice and it's probably a bad habit but like I said, I don't use it to describe mentally challenged so it's kinda lost it's meaning in that aspect.

I find the jokes like 'Your mom' more offensive. My mom is dead, and I find it extremely insulting to disrespect the dead, not to mention someone's mother. What happened to the days when they were respected?

Edit: I agree with the whole african american thing that Siether pointed out. The slavery bit didnt happen to them, heck for some it didnt even happen to their ancestors. The world still has some stupid people, and is going to still have them in years to come, but I dont see a big black supression going on in America today. I dont like when someone of another race says I'm racist for saying something against them, because normally when I take the time to insult you it's because of something you've done, not the color of your skin. Do I feel bad for people who were once slaves to white americans way back when? Yup. Do I feel bad for african americans now? Nope. They're just normal people. A labrador is still a dog whether yellow or black right? Color doesn't matter. Personality, actions, how you treat people... That's what matters.

As for the whole Gay thing... While I was typing my first response I was actually spending time with my cousin, who is a lesbian. She's scary at times, but that's just her. Other than that shes pretty cool, and her girlfriend was super nice... And made awesome food(always a good way to make awesome first impressions). If I ever said anything against gays she'd knock my lights out becauseI was raised better. In fact when I was younger, before I even understood that some people found that girls being with girls was 'gross' or 'wrong', before I even knew her sexuality she stressed(she was the one who gave me 'the talk' -horror music-) that loving someone, no matter what race or gender made no difference. Love was love. That I should look at the person for who they were, not who they were dating.

I've grown up thinking that. My little brother used to go around shouting, "I'm gay!" Because he found out that at one time it meant happy. One of my greatest friends, who was gay, went around declaring that rainbow was his favorite color in the most flamboyant fashion around haters because he wasnt afraid of them; that his sexuality didnt define him like they thought. So, when people go around saying that something is Gay, no it isnt right. I get offended. Heck, sometimes I get mad, but I don't spazz out. I tell them that being gay isn't a bad thing. I know some really great people of different sexualities, race, religion, etc. and as I said before you arent defined by any of those things. You're defined by who you are as a person. If someone wants to go around and make a fool of themselves mocking someone who is in love, or looking then they're worse than what they claim to be ridiculing. Plain and simple. I've been asked by people several times if I was a lesbian, simply because I didnt date. No, I'm not but I dont see what would change if I were. I'd still be the irritable, crazy, sarcastic, lazy, procrastinator I am now and I still would have cussed them out for thinking I was that way because I could be a lesbian.

Now to expand on my previous argument... Parents should deserve some respect. They took care of you, loved you, kept you alive. They've been there for you and taught you... Why would you disrespect the person or people who that loved you unconditionally? Because they wouldnt let you stay up late, or go to a party? Because they told you you couldnt date that guy who was way older? That's no reason. You can be angry without hating. Sure, maybe if they abused or neglected you then you'd have a real reason to hate. But if you lose your parents... Then all those times you used that stupid joke, or said you hated your parents... It's all going to be one big regret. That is why it offends me, that is why I can't stand hearing that dumb joke. It's not funny or cute, you're not some super, amazingly clever person for saying it... You're just a person who's lost all my respect and made me angry.
Last edited, Dec 31st 2011 @ 10:37 am
Pair of Loving Plushies
Gotta collect 'em all!
Azazel
Elite User
4,924 posts
You want people to respect the dead and mothers and yet you won't respect gays and will allow "Gay" to be used as Stupid, etc? "That's so Gay" or like terms was starting to be used because people didn't like gays, just like they didn't like the mentally handicapped or any other racial slurs. That's so Gay is to describe things as stupid/not worth it/etc. So gays are stupid and not worth your time but mothers are?

What offends me? the African Americans in my county (and surrounding areas) that think that because "White People" were horrible to "them" that they have every right to walk all over me and my friends. Last I checked, my family is the first immigrants in Idaho. Last I checked we didn't move to the states until a 100 years ago. After slaves. And last I checked they weren't slaves themselves.
I don't think this means they can act in the same racist manner they degrade. Especially on February. 8I Its not a month for you, its a month to remember and honor those who DID something toward rights. I'm not gunna kiss the ground you walk on or like Obama because he's black.
And news flash, America wasn't the only one who had slaves (which by the way were captured by your own "people";) and they were faaar from the harshest conditions.
Stuff it. End of story 8I

As for "That's so Gay" and Retarded. yeah. I got a problem with it but I have a problem with the stupidity behind it. I also don't like that people seem to think that because they are African American, they can use the 'n word' but no one else can. In that same way, I don't think gays can use 'that's so gay' and true, there are some contexts in which its fine. I'm not saying never use it. But be mindful of where you are.
If someone asks you not to, stop. If you know it offends someone around you, stop. Its like talking politics. If they don't wanna hear it, chances are you should stop.
You wanna cuss and use derogatory terms in your private time. Then by all means, I can't stop you.

I also take great offense to people thinking I don't know things because I'm not old enough. I know if I hurt, I don't need someone telling me "you're too young". I know what I'm talking about.. I don't need someone telling me "You're too young".
Or because of status norms that I have obviously have had sex, done drugs, or gotten drunk. I haven't and for many (if not all) of those? I don't plan on it. Ever. End of story. Just because you are my /friend/ or you are /cute/ doesn't mean I am going to tell you any different. My mom knows everything that goes on in my life (willingly I might add), so I don't see the need to even tell me "I won't tell your mom" because I'm not so stupid to get smashed on a Wednesday and then proceed to tell me you are getting stoned in your van in the parking lot 8I

A lot of all this has to do with personal experiences that happen to me in varying locations.
"Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka." — Jim Butcher (Dresden Files: Changes)
Shame
Elite User
2,287 posts
Seither, I said that using gay like that DOES offend me. It's my first sentence. I tell people all tjhe time not to say that something is gay.
Last edited, Aug 20th 2011 @ 6:18 am
Pair of Loving Plushies
Gotta collect 'em all!
Azazel
Elite User
4,924 posts
Then pardon me, I read your wording wrong. I read it as "People who are insulted by it offend me".
"Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka." — Jim Butcher (Dresden Files: Changes)
Ajaxmar
Elite User
30 posts
I agree with most things you said, especially the bit about cartoons. I've seen some parents let their kids (ages 6, 8 ) watch violent movies, but they however cover the screen when a couple are kissing (p.e.: Harry and Cho scene @Harry Potter 4). Since I'm nobody to judge how children should be taught, I'll leave it here.

What would I label as "offensive"... Anything meant to be, tbh. It really depends on the intention of the one saying or doing it. For example, if someone speaks out of ignorance I can tolerate it as long as they don't mean to be agressive.
Last edited, Aug 28th 2011 @ 3:35 am
sylviau
Elite User
78 posts
I totally agree with you 100% about that last part, I mean, come on.

Insults - I don't think anyone should say mean things to people. It's just wrong. I know there's people who like to start stuff and it's all good if you want to defend yourself. But how far is too far?

I think there's lines that are pretty blurred between defending yourself over an insult, or just being plain rude yourself.

Now I don't support sexual derogatory acts and things on movies and TV because it's plain wrong. But even if that kind of stuff isn't on TV, kids will see it on the streets and everywhere else.
Forever a Fan of Everardo "Lalo" Avila
kittycocoalove
Elite User
53 posts
Same here. That last part- Ha!

I have to really compliment you and your writing skills. If you haven't already wrote and published a book, do it. I'll buy ti without a doubt.

BACK TO SUBJECT: Sure, GOD HATES GAYS is very offensive, but people shouldn't go to far like a news coverage for just a small rude sign. That's what news channels do sometimes. The only big thing is HIGH SCHOOl, Oh my god, if you've seen the movies, don't get me too excited about that. Girls think they're too fat- and the Jocks- they think if you're an African American, you SUCK. Especially the girls. I really have to stop with the CAPS. never mind. But this all leads to Stereotypes- the root of all offensive.

If you live in Europe (Like i do- I'm not a racist!), kids really don't care if they see "Bo*&bs" on the street or not, but they might giggle and hide. Okay, never I've seen that. But still. In somewhere like Seattle, it is Pure wrong for kids to see that, but they don't mind. It is hard to believe, but most really don't mind. Unless they live on The Katy Perry street- that might affect them.

The thing is, "Gay" also means happy. So if you hear someone who doesn't like to be happy (Okay, I'm using the wrong words here) Or perhaps, someone who just isn't as bubbly, they might snarl "That's so gay." So the truth is, sometimes it's at your own expense. IT does depend on how you take it, yes, but also how you understand what they're saying. I've seen a lot of misunderstood problems with this.
Last edited, Aug 9th 2012 @ 8:10 am

So let me get this straight. Batman's first robin becomes Nightwing, the second one dies, resurrects, matures, and stalkes Batman as Red Hood; third Robin lives a short, eventful life; the fourth robin is a girl but is slaughtered by Black Mask; then Bruce and Talia's own child Damian becomes Robin; then his child with Selina, Helena sort of becomes another Robin; and this whole time Superman's just flying around? Pretty legit.

#Loving Adventure Time, The Justice League, and Pokemon
Page: 1 2
Next ->
- Login or register to reply to join in on Verpets forum discussions! -