Purple Querity

Login or Register to find one!
Azazel
User
4,924 posts
You can't live completely healthy either way. A vegetarian or vegan who doesn't do their homework does more damage to their insides in a shorter amount of time then them getting cancer and the digestive problems from eating. A lot of those "health problems" from eating meat is eating it to excess. In our society with the growth hormones the pesticides and other things we use to make our animals fatter or plants bigger, we've gone all kinds of crazy. Not to mention we jam so many kinds of pills down our throat, and use all kinds of disinfectant that since the time we started eating meat [which was original purpose, so it IS healthy for us no matter the "negative effects". Everything has those.] we have a weaker immune system.

I mean all these forms of cancer and mental defects just popped up in this greater number recently. Sure we have an easier time recording this then 100 years ago but there are still more and more cases simply because we have reached the climax of our population and we have to have weaknesses. Whether its disease or natural disaster, its going to happen one way or another. Meat or no.

Many animals are not always slaughtered in the way PETA puts out. Many slaughter houses have changed greatly since PETA displayed those videos. I have family who is in the slaughter house business and they are very clean, kind, and take as time in caring for their animals as they do humanely killing them and butchering them. From Cows to Pigs to the Turkey.

Slaughter houses and farms make up a lot of businesses. My friends have Cattle Ranches and its their lively hood. If everyone stopped buying, then what? Sure humans will stop eating it but the production won't stop. It will continue to be made as feed for Sanctuaries, Zoos, Rescues, Dog and Cat food, the works.

Meat is apart of our history. Meat is apart of our genetic make up. We are omnivores and that's that. With the right diet and the right food and vitamins, yes you can substitute meat but you are ALWAYS substituting meat because meat is what is healthy for us. Sure, we are better off then if you tried making your cat or dog vegetarian but we still originated from eating meat. We have the make and build of it.

Its wrong how some people take care of their slaughter houses but unless you are REALLY dedicated to being vegetarian/vegan then you need to stick to what humans were MADE for.
"Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka." — Jim Butcher (Dresden Files: Changes)
Backgammon
User
432 posts
All the meat-loving aside, Seither has a good point - ye don't want scurvy!!

Also, in relation to G-d's apparent command not to eat meat - we're Biblically told to live off the land. That means eating meat. The context from which the 'evidence' for this alleged command in fact probably comes from Old Testament Jewish tradition.
Just a fun fact for y'iz.

http://www.verpets.com/pet/Nun click my clour army!
Expressive
User
497 posts
I barely eat meat out of the respect that I'm too lazy to cook it and I have no desire to have food poisoning. All around, I'm super healthy (all things considered) and I don't take vitamins. I'm thinking of roast right now and it just might be worth the effort to invest in a crock pot and ohgodjesusineedthisrightnow.

I tried to be vegan once because I saw that I never understood the sacrificing that went into it. I saw that I never understood complete sacrifice of anything. It was a forced experimental lent, on my part. Of course, I contacted my doctor and we got things situated. I got onto vitamins she suggested and all that.

I learned you can't have sort of off the wall things like things made with granulated sugar, gelatin, and chocolate. I also then learned I'm not supposed to eat soy out of personal health reasons (hypothyroidism). This severely limited my consumption of most vegan foods (being most are made of soy bean). I was surprised soy was in a lot of things that weren't vegan to begin with. I didn't mind eating tofu. It's not that bad, honestly. Sure, veggie burgers aren't the same as the real deal, but they weren't horrid either.

I endured this for two months before I chowed down on my first burger. Felt good, man. So this is what I know: There are some people who simply cannot be vegan or vegetarian due to health concerns or simply personal preference.

Slaughter houses and farms make up a lot of businesses. My friends have Cattle Ranches and its their lively hood. If everyone stopped buying, then what? Sure humans will stop eating it but the production won't stop. It will continue to be made as feed for Sanctuaries, Zoos, Rescues, Dog and Cat food, the works.

^Endlessly this. Surely it'll decline in the profits, but if there is a profit to be made, there will always be a person who jumps in on it.
xoxo
VerpetsGhost
Official
0 posts
Originally posted by the user Skeeter, archived on Mar 7th 2017
"I do not believe that any animal can be killed humanely; simply because they do not actually 'kill' the animal before slaughtering it."

... But.. I've watched them! Cows, pigs, the whole deal, have to be killed quickly before being processed. Otherwise the meat gets too tough if they are killed while anticipating it or afriad. And I'm pretty sure the deer we kill are dead before they go to the meat locker. Or they're just really good at playing possum...

"I think that everyone should watch how your meat is processed and if you can't watch the footage then you shouldn't eat it. "

I'll one up that. I've helped. We raise cattle, watch them play as calves, sometimes name the steers we get before they're sent of to the meat locker, and are well acquainted with our meat while its still lowing. I've helped with the deer we home butcher. Its not some big gorey process where we do a satanical ritual and cut the animal's heart out while its still alive and listen to it scream. The animal is dead, and more often than not, doesn't even know what hit it before hand.
Just because a person eats meat doesn't mean the animal suffers. All of our cattle are well taken care of. We don't strictly feed them a corn diet, they can graze and roam the fields, they recieve proper medical attention, we trap the coyotes to keep them away from the young, and they don't sit penned up in a barn.
I've also seen animals go from flying and swimming in the wild to sizzling in the pan; again, helped with the cleaning of birds and fish as well.
There are certain amino acids that your body needs. There are plant-based ones, and then there are animal-based ones. And it doesn't matter how many nuts or how much tofu you eat, you won't be as healthy as is possible without them.
Tell me, ye vegetarians and vegans... Do you have pets? Do you feed them food from the store? Then you are still supporting the use of animals for feed. The "protein product" in dog/cat/fish/lots of pet food? Well.. Its not a myth that they grind up horses and cows for that. There's this little thing around here called a rendering truck. And when we have a cow or horse die, it comes and picks up the dead livestock, which is then brough to the processing plant, which finds its way into your precious pet's belly. Oh, you say its natural for pets to eat meat?... Well, its natural for humans to eat meat too.
Either way.. Saying that eating meat is mean to the animals that suffer for it is like saying that using a phone is cruel to the platics that went into it.
Sure, there are some big scary places where animals can't always be treated right and morale corners get cut out. That's called industry, and its what the world today runs on. But.. Honestly? I'm kind of more worried about people. People that are treated less than animals, have their organs removed without their consent (Chinese prisoners), people who are abused beyond abuse, sometimes with acid thrown in their face (the "untouchable" caste of India'' ) and so many more.
So really.. Why make a big deal about something that is part of the circle of life? I don't see people getting mad at bears, another omnivore, for eating meat..
Last edited, Mar 23rd 2011 @ 9:59 pm
Shame
User
2,348 posts
When humans first started ot I doubt there was soy products and other replacements for protein around. We were designed to be able to process meat. Eating anything in the wrong way can be harmful. Being healthy doesn't mean being a vegetarian after all.

I took this class once where we raised chickens and then took a field trip to watch them get processed. It was very clean there..before they started anyway... The way they killed the chickens was purposely made so they felt little to no pain before death. We had to help pluck the few remaining feathers before they were finished. After that was all done they were soon ready to be sold. A lot of my classmates bought the same chickens that we had raised and then processed. Sure, some of them got freaked out directly after but that was more from the blood than anything (personally I wanted to go to KFC); not one of them became vegetarians.

You can't trust certain videos since they are aimed specifically to get you to sympathize with them. They don't play Devil's Advocate. Animal rights groups aren't going to show anything good that goes against their cause and vice versa. If you really want to know what's going on it's best to see it in person and decide for yourself.
Pair of Loving Plushies
Gotta collect 'em all!
Fake
User
293 posts
Maybe it's just my thought that everything eventually dies one day, but right/wrong doesn't play a part in this in my thoughts. I don't eat meat myself, but do not bash anyone who does. It varies from person to person, and the only thing that angers me about this debate are the responses bringing down those who DON'T eat meat. It doesn't seem right for vegetarians to bring down meat eaters, either. Idk. My response probably doesn't make sense.

Feel free to flame away at my idiotic 'opinion' that I probably shouldn't have shared. actuallypleasedon'tdothatQnQ
This whole post will be ignored, so there's no use for having this here.
Yoshika
User
2,058 posts
You can't trust certain videos since they are aimed specifically to get you to sympathize with them. They don't play Devil's Advocate. Animal rights groups aren't going to show anything good that goes against their cause and vice versa

This. If it's an anti-slaughter campaign, they're not going to show animals being killed humanely because nobody will see what's wrong with it and then their campaign will be a complete flop.

It varies from person to person, and the only thing that angers me about this debate are the responses bringing down those who DON'T eat meat.

The only "bringing down" I've seen- or at least picked up on- is directed at the vegetarians who think it's horrible to eat meat and that people shouldn't do it because "there are vitamins you can take instead". I could be blind, though!
Azazel
User
4,924 posts
It varies from person to person, and the only thing that angers me about this debate are the responses bringing down those who DON'T eat meat

It seems people are bringing down the ignorant PETA lovers rather then vegetarians/vegans. Or that is my intention, at least. Don't eat me, I don't eat all that much meat and being a vegetarian doesn't mean you're a horrible person but it also doesn't mean you are better then those who eat meat. All I've ever asked is that people use their noggin and think before they jump into that life style because I've had friends who were terribly sick because they didn't become a vegan in a proper manner. Or to even think about why you are joining this lifestyle. Is it because of a "PETA" type video? Or is it because you feel you could be healthier without meat?
"Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka." — Jim Butcher (Dresden Files: Changes)
Vulgar
User
150 posts
I feel like people not eating meat is solely based on morals and ideals. If it were a health concern, I feel we would all stick to a omnivorous diet. My sister was a vegetarian for 3 years, took vitamin supplements and did everything she should to keep healthy while abstaining from meat - yet when she finally did cave in and started eating it again, she showed a lot of improvements in her overall health. She was less tired during the day and her hair and nails grew faster and healthier. So from these small things, I can confidently say there are some effects on health that come with a vegetarian diet as our bodies are not conditioned from birth to be herbivores; nor do I believe a person could be entirely a carnivore, either.

Though animals can feel as we slaughter them and do panic - do humans not feel the same as we're preyed upon? It's how nature works; eat or be eaten.
Burpunny
User
213 posts
The Bible clearly tells us that God's plan for us was to eat meat. God granted permission to Noah and his Family to eat meat.(Genesis 9:3) I dont see anything wrong with eating meat. :]
- Login or register to reply to join in on Verpets forum discussions! -