Black Treillen

Login or Register to find one!
Page: 1 2 3
Next ->

Register or Login to vote!
Expressive
User
497 posts
Before I begin, I'm aware not everyone is a crazy-nut like I am about to describe, so don't assume I am blanketing anything/anyone/a religion, nor should you use this as an example for anything that supports that notion.

I recently told a(n ex-)friend this "politically correct" phrase on FaceBook (lol there's my trouble all ready). She proceeded to say that I had bashed her religion, that she was better than me, and she's praying for me because it's not, "Happy holidays," but, "Merry Christmas." She also told me it was offensive that an atheist had a Christmas tree up when they're not Christian. (When I am not an atheist.) Her MOTHER joined in and said that if I don't say "Merry Christmas" then to "Go back to my country" (?? many an expletive of confusion was said). Then they both proceeded to block me.

(I'd give screenshots, but that's just tawdry!)

Okay, okay... Back the Fun Bus up. We got some people who need to be sat down and be given a hard talkin'-to.

Is saying, "Happy holidays" really offensive? I am not a politically correct person. That's just not how I roll. I'll say what I want, when I want, without regard to any consequences. If that gets me in a pickle, I'm okay with that. But that is beside the point. The point I guess I'm trying to make is that she implied I was trying to be "politically correct" when I wasn't even aware that it was. So I ask you: What is your general take on this phrase? Is it offensive?

I figured it was better than assuming they celebrated Kwanzaa, Yule, Christmas, or Hanukkah. In fact, I find it to be a blanketed way of saying all of that without being specific, therefore a bit more respectful way of not assuming anything.

Is "Happy Holidays" really that offensive and "politically correct?" (We all know the loud-mouthed Rush Limbaugh's and old-timer Bill O'Reilly's opinions on this.)

I also have taken the initiative to celebrate Tree Day. Same thing as Christmas but on December 24th. I won't get into the details, but it's pretty much like, you should go. Party of the year and all that. BYOB.
xoxo
ghostly
User
1,244 posts
I totally don't care. "Happy Holidays" is a great greeting to spread cheer to whoever you may come in contact with, regardless of religion. I just can't imagine what was going through that person's head when they were replying to you. xD

I have a tendency to say "Merry Christmas" to everyone. I don't personally know anyone who celebrates other late December holidays. But I would be happy if anyone said anything season/holiday related to me in celebration of whatever they celebrate.

Concerning trees... Christmas trees are so awesome. I wish every single person on earth had one because they're so awesome. I don't care why anyone has one up, they're a beautiful way to show celebration.

This person is so ignorant. I'm a Christian, and it's horrifying to see someone Christian acting so... un-Christianly. D: But even if they weren't Christian, I would still be frustrated. xD

...a lot of repeated words through this thing. :U But whatever, I suppose.
Verbie not found
has his eyes on the rest. Supposedly.
160/800 referral points
Azazel
User
4,924 posts
It used to be saying "Merry Christmas" was offensive to those who weren't Christian...so after a lot of problems and places wanting to be ambiguous because not only Christmas takes place in December and its really hard to decorate for them ALL, it became politically correct to say "Happy Holidays"

However, the sad fact of it its that Happy Holidays has turned into another saying for Merry Christmas. And is just overly used and stupid and no one really gives 2 cents

People get their butts hurt either way. So honestly, I don't care. =/
"Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka." — Jim Butcher (Dresden Files: Changes)
Asmodea
User
1,679 posts
I say it merely because it's easier than figuring out what someone's religion is, and it includes New Year's Eve, whom everyone in America celebrates.
sindis
User
26 posts
i personally don't celebrate anything, but i don't get offended when people say "happy holidays". i get offended at "merry Christmas" simply because people are so arrogant they honestly believe everyone celebrates christmas. its aggravating

so i'll be honest with you. i don't like overly religious people. i may be biased when saying this, but your (ex-)friend is a moron and deserves a broken leg
Last edited, Dec 11th 2010 @ 10:25 pm
Azazel
User
4,924 posts
I don't know anyone who has been honestly arrogant that they thought everyone celebrated Christmas. Ignorant, maybe.
"Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka." — Jim Butcher (Dresden Files: Changes)
sindis
User
26 posts
They're not ignorant. they're well aware different people celebrate different things. they just choose not to recognize it.
Last edited, Dec 11th 2010 @ 11:14 pm
ohdev
User
1,327 posts
I say Merry Christmas because that is the holiday I celebrate. I might laugh a bit if someone ever wished me a different holiday greeting, but I wouldn't be offended. And I'm indifferent about being told Happy Holiday, because really, its the thought that counts.

If someone's being nice enough to wish someone good will, that means enough. Today a lot of people are rude and just ignore others, even during the holidays.

Also... Christmas has become a very commercial holiday for a lot of people, so getting offended by the saying is kinda of funny.
Well, Some nights, I wish that this all would end

And some nights, I'm scared you'll forget me again
ghostly
User
1,244 posts
Yeah, Christmas, though largely Christian, isn't a singularly Christian or God-based holiday. Many of other beliefs celebrate Christmas as well. I'm surprised to hear how common frustration with this situation is. I'm obviously kind of ignorant myself on this topic. o:
Verbie not found
has his eyes on the rest. Supposedly.
160/800 referral points
VerpetsGhost
Official
0 posts
Originally posted by the user Zev, archived on Mar 7th 2017
I don't dislike the phrase "Happy Holidays," I just think it's stupid the media/public use that instead of "Merry Christmas" because a bunch of Atheists/Muslims/Jews got butthurt over a greeting.
Page: 1 2 3
Next ->
- Login or register to reply to join in on Verpets forum discussions! -