Green Peesh

Login or Register to find one!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
<- Prev Next ->
Anti_Social
User
974 posts
I believe in god strongly, but I will not go to a church or worship or read the bible or anything like that, it's not me and I won't be forced into it. My mom only told me I had to believe and so I do, and I'm fine with that, I could care less if someone doesn't believe, it's their choice. This is a very bad debate topic because no one on either party will be right. It's how it is, and also, just throwing in a bit of something that popped into my head after eating a slice of cake >>, The people that ask for proof of him such as drop this move this show me a sign stuff, it won't work, faith lives in your heart, mind and soul.

"Somebody give me a sign. That everything's going as planned. And then everything falls away, into the darkness of this shallow place. The detail is striking. The room's cold and frightening. You'll kick and you'll scream. You'll try everything to survive.."
Kamlynx
User
10 posts
Yes, this is indeed a very touchy topic. I have many friends that believe in god, I go to a Catholic School. I on the other hand, do not believe. Kind of like your situation I suppose, my parents forced me to believe, and so did the school, but I on the other hand never really felt any kind of presence. It upset me that they wouldn't just leave me alone. I took Philosophy class last year and we spoke about this same topic, and your right, the faith is found within yourself, there is no solid proof, there might never be. And quite frankly, I do not have this faith.

In my class, I came up with this, if I may. Again, I really don't want to offend anyone, this is a touchy topic, lets all try to keep our minds open =) We are all composed of energy right? And the bible says that God made us in his image, and that he is "immortal" or he has "always been there". Since Energy was also "always there" and that we are composed of it, what if, "God" is energy? Maybe he's within us all? When we die, the energy is released, our soul if you may. But since I am no believer, I think all the spare energy is sent somewhere within the earth, and wherever it is needed, let's say a child is born, the energy is drawn to that place.

What do you guys think? I'm interessted in all of your thoughs =)
Last edited, Aug 9th 2010 @ 3:43 pm
Anti_Social
User
974 posts
That's actually a very good thought.
But To your first para. I wasn't forced into belief I choose it but either way no one can force you too believe in anything.

Oh also some people are on science's side too, but I'm not trying to offend anyone with this at all. But science hasn't proved how the earth was created and how we came about. So there basically will be no right answer for this topic since neither party will ever be right.

"Somebody give me a sign. That everything's going as planned. And then everything falls away, into the darkness of this shallow place. The detail is striking. The room's cold and frightening. You'll kick and you'll scream. You'll try everything to survive.."
Kamlynx
User
10 posts
That's exactly right Anti. Science hasn't proved anything, religion neither.

But when you think about it, we would be lost without religion. Our ancestors learned moral values through it. The evolution of mankind and religion is simply fascinating! ^^
Higgs
User
948 posts
In my personal opinion, (any) God isn't the reason for the creation of morals. Our brains, (or most of our brains) create images naturally, they create thoughts, rules and most importantly, morals. I don't think that any God is capable of allowing the human brain to create morals. Maybe that was a piece of inspiration, but I'd say it was no more than that. Any piece of fiction can help the human mind create anything, whether it be cars which can drive underwater/on water (see also; James Bond) or just inspiration to help people. There are probably hundreds of instances in which this theory could be applied, but for times sake, I'm not going to go on and name them.

The brain (to my knowledge and research at least) automatically creates morals. A damage to the brain in that state aids in the reaction to lack of moral. (An example being, in such a situation it could/does aid to irresponsibility and criminal activity.) If I'm going to be completely scientific here, look into the prefrontal cortex of the brain. This is the part of the brain which affects social activity, though it doesn't press on the intelligence of the individual.

If you research into brain activity, you'll find that people generally have morals. It's something that has been programmed into us for a long, long time.

Another flaw in the 'moral from the bible' argument is how exactly did everything come-to before the bible existed? The bible hasn't existed since the beginning of humanity, so how exactly did the human race not cease to exist? If the bible was what taught people morals, then how come we're still a living species? Anybody would question this theory because of it, if you can provide me with an answer as to why we didn't end up either a) extinct. b) hooligans, then I will lay off on the argument at hand.

How could one man/one book somehow convince a whole world (Or a whole hell of a lot of people, at least) to shut up, listen and learn something called 'morals'. Sure, it's probably slowly expanded since then, but I do not believe in anything which 'proves' the bible is the reason most of us are mentally secure/have morals. No offense, but if your bibles were anything to go by, a lot of that goes against the moral tissue in the first place. Or at least the stuff that extreme Christians believe in. How can most of that even be sensible thinking?

However, considering that's just a reply to one of the current questions at hand, I'll respond to the topic as a whole too:

I do not believe in God, as you may have guessed from my response to the current topic at hand. I would like to believe in something, but a lot of the people have managed to convince me that there is no such thing. These people would be the extremists which believe completely that their God is all that matters. War happens, get over it. If you look into history, a lot of the big fights started because of religion and for that reason, I believe that there can't be a God. If there was, why hasn't he appeared to say enough is enough? Surely God's ultimate plan would not have been to create a monster of a race.

If the bible was created in fiction, it has got just as much right as the next book. Everyone has their own right to believe in a God, I personally, don't want to worship something which doesn't exist. When I sit there, what's the point in praying to some imaginary being when I can get out there and change things myself? As soon as someone has some actual evident proof that God exists, or that he is helping people out, then maybe I'll believe. Otherwise, why would he exist? His existence is pointless. Other than being a muse of war and genocide, I can't see what else God has really done for the human race. As Jeevas has earlier said, God is fascinating, as are most religions, but what comes from them is disappointing.

TL;DR: I don't believe in God, I have no reason to believe in God, I'm happy living without some mystic invisible force (Look up Invisible Pink Unicorn for further research/interest.) made to supposedly help me through my day-to-day business that I, myself, can sort out anyway.
in his wisdom god created the f l y and then forgot to tell us why
Anti_Social
User
974 posts
We can't begin to imagine who or what lead the human beings before the bible. Maybe he did who knows? We won't ever know though. But what programmed our minds to create morals?
I know this might be off topic and such but my mom told me a story of when she was a little girl in Mexico, she lived in the catholic school they had there and one night while her and many of the girls in the room with her were layed in their beds ready for sleep, a girl screamed saying something bumped her bed. My mom said she saw something like a black dog running underneath the beds. She felt the bump under her bed so she jumped to each bed and reached for the light switch. When the lights came on there was no black dog in the room. There was no possible way of it getting out either if there had been one. <---That's just a story she told me multiple times.

Also before I was born, my two older sisters were about 15 at the time and my mom was involved in a head on colision with another car going around 75. Before the actually impact she heard a voice in her head saying "Everything will be alright little one." Seconds before the crash. Only my older sister was in the car with her, and the voice she describes aounded like a man. My mom survived the crash with broken arms legs and alot of surgery. She couldn't eat or do anything by herself but eventually got stronger and 15 years later, had me and my sister.

Yesterday my mom was in a motorcycle accident, thankfully she is alive but she said she felt a strong presence somewhat protecting her. I believe everything she says because the crash she was in would have been alot worse, she hit the concrete road with her face first going around 50mph, then was thrown into the ditch and stabbed by branches.

Ok that was not supported but I felt to share those stories.

ABLAZE
User
123 posts
I believe in god strongly, but I will not go to a church or worship or read the bible or anything like that, it's not me and I won't be forced into it. My mom only told me I had to believe and so I do, and I'm fine with that, I could care less if someone doesn't believe, it's their choice. This is a very bad debate topic because no one on either party will be right. It's how it is, and also, just throwing in a bit of something that popped into my head after eating a slice of cake >>, The people that ask for proof of him such as drop this move this show me a sign stuff, it won't work, faith lives in your heart, mind and soul.
-
Agreed.
Kimperly
User
4 posts
I'm not sure whether to call myself more or an atheist or just apathetic. I believe in science. I believe in what I can see, or what makes logical sense in my mind. Things that just click, you know, like when you're taking a test in math and you just know how to figure out the problem because you know the process and it makes sense to you.

I don't really believe in God I suppose. I think, yeah, I could be wrong, but if there IS a God I'd imagine him to be the forgiving type, and so I'm sure he'd be cool and understanding of my skepticism. I wouldn't get a super nice house in heaven but maybe eventually God and I would kick it together at his place, or something. I dunno.

Anyway, long story short, no I don't believe in God. If you do, that's cool. Most of my super awesome favoritest best friends were self-described Jesus Freaks, and honestly I think that is awesome. Just I personally don't care much for any religion. So I'm cool with saying nope, not for me. ;3
Rowan
User
830 posts
I believe in letting people believe in what makes them happy.

If believing in the Christian God makes them happy, I say let them do it.

I deity hop, so to speak, I 'test' out the different deities to see who treats me well.
Higgs
User
948 posts
But what programmed our minds to create morals?

What programmed our minds to eat? What programmed our minds to kill animals for meat? What programmed our minds to create technology? What programmed anything we do?
( Also an apology for not providing a lot of 'interesting' facts there, but here's the point; )

If a God created our morals, or even programmed us with the possibility to think with morals, did he also programme everything else about us? Evolution has done to us what has been done to us. To some people, a devout belief in the bible or anything religious could have fuelled reason to act even more morally in order to please that God. A God itself didn't give us morals, nor did the bible or any other religious book, they just helped push the idea of morals out there. Atheists or general non-believers still have morals, so I can't see any proof that this debate will lead anywhere.

A belief is something which someone will tend to believe in even if you try to take that belief away. No matter how many times I'm going to get knocks on my door to believe in someone else's God, I'm not going to believe until I can get some proof.

Currently this is impossible.

I'm not saying that anyone else can't believe in God, as they are more than welcome. I respect the fact that a lot of people believe in God, I just don't see it myself.

Also, in reply to the other things that have been noted;

she felt a strong presence somewhat protecting her.

If you believe strongly in something, your mindset will change drastically. Judging from your Mum's past, with the accidents and whatnot, I'm not surprised she thinks there is something watching over her. However, this isn't proof and can't really be a provider to the debate as it's a personal experience.

My mom said she saw something like a black dog running underneath the beds. She felt the bump under her bed so she jumped to each bed and reached for the light switch. When the lights came on there was no black dog in the room. There was no possible way of it getting out either if there had been one.

I'm trying to see how this relates to the debate in general. A black dog doesn't seem to have much to do with anything relating to a God existing or not. Either way, darkness plays with your eyes, as does fright. I've had several experiences like this, but I've never put it down to 'There must be a God!!!' or anything similar. If you'd like to go on and explain this experience further, I'd be glad to listen, but I don't see a link.

The people that ask for proof of him such as drop this move this show me a sign stuff, it won't work, faith lives in your heart, mind and soul.

I personally thought this was obvious. Asking anything which isn't there to do something proves pretty pointless. I've never heard of this practice being used to identify whether a God exists or not though, only with ghosts.

Things that just click, you know, like when you're taking a test in math and you just know how to figure out the problem because you know the process and it makes sense to you.

I do believe this is my problem too. I'd like to see something and how it got there. I see a lot of problem with most of things brought up by people who believe strongly in God, especially when a lot has been explained in medical science or just science in general.

verpets.com/go/1dd
( Pic related )

On that note however, I'd just like to say that I'm not 'against' any religion. If they want to believe, let them believe. I don't personally believe and I also think that the extremists of every religion tend to make them more disappointing than the fantastic fairytale-esque scenes they are meant to imply. The extremists tend to ruin a lot of the magic that religion is meant to represent.

in his wisdom god created the f l y and then forgot to tell us why
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
<- Prev Next ->
- Login or register to reply to join in on Verpets forum discussions! -