Default Baby Tapulu

Login or Register to find one!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
<- Prev Next ->
Shelsi
User
5 posts
Ah Joe, but you don't know that the idea of God is meaningless.
Last edited, Jul 8th 2010 @ 11:47 pm
Josey
Admin
758 posts
Something can't be pointless if it has no meaning in the first place. It's like asking is 'UGOOOIHOH' (can put any random string of letters there) pointless? It's meaningless and so we cannot talk of it being pointless or not.
Shelsi
User
5 posts
God definitely does have meaning though. Without Him, we would be the meaningless ones.
Josey
Admin
758 posts
And yet if I asked you to explain the concept of God you'd most likely come out with a concept filled with logical inconsistencies and with yourself 'unable' to explain what you mean in a coherent manner. You may even go on to claim that that is simply due to the greatness of God - that he cannot be explained in human terms. But there's the problem, if he cannot be explained in coherent human terms, he cannot be meaningfully talked about by us here! (Oh and we've fallen upon another example of our inability to express the concept of God meaningfully - I doubt you actually mean that God is a 'he'/'him'? Yet again you're aiming at some concept beyond human understanding and reference, and therefore failing to express it => aka you're talking gibberish.)

Perhaps you're misunderstanding 'meaning' in the sense I am using it - I don't mean meaning as in purpose in life/the universe, I mean meaning as in the actual coherence of a concept.
Shelsi
User
5 posts
The "concept" of God isn't the point, the point is that I personally believe in Him. Also, when I say that God is a he/him, yes, I really mean that. We are made in His image.
Last edited, Jul 9th 2010 @ 12:31 am
Expressive
User
497 posts
>God is in the image of people.

God IS made in our image.
Last edited, Jul 9th 2010 @ 12:14 am
xoxo
Josey
Admin
758 posts
The point is that if the concept is meaningless, you have a belief in absolutely nothing - an empty concept, it's meaningless.

And even if we do accept that you can have a meaningful concept of God and therefore that you can have a belief in him - is there any limit to your belief? What would stop you believing in 'Him'? (as I presume God is a man after all, by your continued use of the term...)

For surely one can't have a belief without there being a certain circumstance or piece of evidence by which that belief would be withdrawn. To have a belief is to accept that a proposition is not entirely certain. And, it follows, that something could feasibly happen to show you that you were in fact wrong and you would accept that what you thought was the case, was in fact not (ie your belief in God). So - what is it that would make you abandon your belief in God? If there's nothing, then I challenge your claim that you even have a belief - instead what you have is pretty much a delusion.

Edit to address 'image' point:
The whole idea of us being made in God's image or God being made in our image is incoherent too. I doubt you'd claim that God IS a man, and yet that's what the term 'him'/'he' means - trying to reach beyond it and say God is a man and yet isn't and yet is and yet we're in his image so we look like him but he's far greater than us etc etc etc is absolutely incoherent. And to what degree are we made in his image anyway? Internally? Surely he doesn't have a heart which could stop beating and lead to his death? Surely he doesn't have the same limited mind as us if he's all knowing? And even then, how can we be made in the image of something outside of space and time? Our very makeup ties us to space (matter, particles, physical existence) and so surely we can't be based on something OUTSIDE of space in the first place.
Last edited, Jul 9th 2010 @ 12:30 am
Gazette
User
145 posts
I'm a Buddhist and a Shintoist, so I don't just believe in one god, I believe in a lot of them. And I like that the gods in Shintoism are not omnipotent, because I can't ask questions like "Why did my grandma die way too soon?" or "Why did my parents get divorced?" because my gods can be just as imperfect and stupid as us humans. The sadness in my life is lifted by my Buddhist side, knowing that everything happens for a purpose, and life is as it is. I accept these things.
So, does what you call God exist? Yes, because you think it's true, or no, if you don't. Faith is what you make it; it's not a yes or no subject.
Oh starry starry nig̷ht͡!͘ T̴h̛is i̖̬̔͗ͥ̆ͨͅs̤̯̆̓ͮ̈ͯ ̈̒ͬ́̚h̫̦̓͋ͨ̽͗͋o͡w ҉I̵҉̭̹̫̗̪͓̲ ͖̩̳͇̤͚̯w̡͖̦̩̙̟̹͎͚a͖̼̬͉̯̰͕̻͚̕ṉ͚͓t̷̞ͅ ͖̣͕̦̞ͅt͏͉̱o̬̖̣̥̞̤̩̜ ̻͔̮̼͓͇̠̉ͬ́d̴̃ͭ̽̈ĭ̪͇ͣͫͭ̒e̐̓͐͂ͬ̊.̸̤̜̪̥͔̙̪ͣͥ̾̈
yuri
User
450 posts
I believe that people have to have an explanation for everything, they can't just NOT know how this whole universe was created, why we're here, or what the afterlife is like.
So they had to make something up that explained all that.
At least, that's what I think.

I'm an agnostic, so I'll believe all that God stuff when I'm ... hit from a bolt of lightning or something. ;O
But even if I had firm proof of it, I probably wouldn't worship or anything. xD

m★gic★l girl
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔつ──☆*:・゚
Jeevas
User
275 posts
I can't bring myself to worship anything.
All I've seen religion do is start wars. The only good would be the messages religions bring which , I hope, people would see as morals anyway. (Don't murder, rape, steal ect ect)
Sure I have no problem with people worshiping and some people 'find god, jesus, buddah ect' and it helps with any problems they have faced in life.
Personally if I have problems the first people I go to are family and close friends, not god(s)/godess(es). I like to think I have decent moral standards, especially in modern society and lastly I enjoy knowing i'm in control of my own life rather then believing that if something good or bad happens it was by the choice of some divine being. Religion is a facinating idea but I find it interesting in learning history and how it affected people rather then how it will affect in the future. I see religion as an old idea and I'd like to think that humanity as a whole as moved on a bit sincet he dark ages.

I suppose you could say the God of modern day is technology and the media.
"If you see your brother in hell. Tell him he's still a douc**"
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
<- Prev Next ->
- Login or register to reply to join in on Verpets forum discussions! -