Teacup Balkane

Login or Register to find one!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
<- Prev Next ->
Expressive
User
497 posts
>I think the point was that god just let us do whatever we wanted, despite the fact that he knew we were going to just mess it all up. Time is and always was I suppose and things happen depending on our free will but god being in past present and future would see all of it, I think the point was that even though he always knew what was going to happen he didnt do his divine whatnots to change any of it. I think thats what its supposed to be.

Ah, excellent. C: Someone else knows the answer. But I was hoping that the OP would know. Ah, well. The answer gets there so I can't be worried about that.

>"As such, why does he allow evil if he is an all-knowing God?" that part ties into the free will bit. You have the free will to be good or evil but since its your will this god doesnt interfere.

Not all people believe that god is this all loving being though who just wants peace for everyone and perfection. My mom believes that god is some cynical being that made earth and moved on lol.She doesnt really pray or do anything religious but she just thinks that whatever put us here made really pretty stuff, left and so that means there is no real reason for her to practice praying to something that is just leaving us to our own devices.

I don't either, but I absolutely support creationism. I think it's presumptuous and arrogant to make God out to be what we think that it is or want it to be. As such, what if it didn't know the future anymore than we do? What if it couldn't control the weather? What if it couldn't heal amputees just because it just can't? C:
xoxo
Cyanide
User
778 posts
That makes sense xD!

I dont really know what to think about creationism personally but I dont rule it out. Someone had a cool theory that gave a scientific reasoning behind the religious belief of earth being made in 7 days. It was something about how back then the earths rotation and orbit around the sun was much different and could have been much slowly were one technical day from sun up to sun down could have been a million years. I think there was a really cool article about the possibilty.

"I think it's presumptuous and arrogant to make God out to be what we think that it is or want it to be." I agree and disagree, only because since no one actually knows who god is, what he's like, or if he even exsists all people can do is imagine god out to be what comforts us most. Which is fine to an extent as long as people dont get delusional like the people who kill for religion. IF THAT MAKES SENSE.

"As such, what if it didn't know the future anymore than we do? What if it couldn't control the weather? What if it couldn't heal amputees just because it just can't? C: "

feee fee I'm sorry I actually dont understand what you mean D: could you rephrase...if you can? -fail-
Last edited, Jun 25th 2010 @ 5:38 am
Demyxx
User
56 posts
My grandma and i actually had a big elaborate conversation about this yesterday.

She was raised by a very religious family and yet she still has her doubts about "god." As she gets older and older (she's 60 now) she has more and more doubts and more questions. She thinks there is SOMETHING out there, because every country in the world has some form of god that they worship. We have this theory that waaay back when, aliens landed on our savage planet and set down guidelines and whatnot in order to help better us as a species.

Think about it, there are gods out there with multiple arms and eyes and weird skin colors. That sounds alien to me. There are many possibilities, and none of us know what the truth is.

Jesus could have been an alien in disguise as human, so when he "died," for all we know he could have faked it excellently, have fast-healing wounds, or maybe they had the technology to bring things back from death. But for all we know, someone could have stolen the body and an impostor who looked very much like jesus claimed to be him.

i don't believe in an all-loving god who controls everything and knows everything but gives us free will. I think the bible is very iffy, i wouldnt take anything from it seriously because it was written by man.
violet338
User
586 posts
Alien? You believe in a alien but not God... sorry but that sounds weird to me.
Violet

Cyanide
User
778 posts
Violet for some people aliens disprove the existence of god and for some it strengthens it.

Believing in aliens is completely different than believing in god where belief in god is spiritual and faith where aliens are reason and theory (and some would say experience too--abductions and what not)

Some people think that proof of aliens would mean that there are more than just humans out there making a god seem less likely a crazy idea made by some insignificant people on an insignificant planet. To other people aliens would just mean god is that much more powerful and made many more places like earth.

Some people would say that it sounds weird to them that you believe in god but not aliens.

PS
Demyxx that is a pretty awesome theory
Last edited, Jun 25th 2010 @ 9:14 pm
violet338
User
586 posts
I guess....
Violet

Injection
User
9 posts
I believe to a point. /Leaves.
Last edited, Jun 28th 2010 @ 8:57 pm
Shelsi
User
5 posts
I get don't get how a lot of you think that the world being created by God in a few days is so impossible.

Ps
Cyanide, it's not like there has been any proof of aliens existing either, so someone believing that there are aliens would just be a faith too.
Last edited, Jul 7th 2010 @ 9:05 pm
Josey
Admin
758 posts
Have you considered that maybe the idea of God is meaningless in the first place and therefore this debate is pointless. Meaning precedes existence - if the idea of God is meaningless then this debate is pointless.

So why might the idea of God be considered meaningless? Some would argue that God exists outside of space and time - hence they would say (@Shelsi ) that he was able to create the Earth in a few of what we call days. But, doesn't the word 'existence' intrinsically tie a concept to space and time, so the statement a believer is making in the first place is incoherent. When we talk of existence we talk of something being within our realms of experience - space and time. To talk of 'beyond' these two concepts violates everything we have ever experienced - we have no frame of reference to talk of it in the first place. Therefore, to talk of God 'existing' outside of space and time is gibberish! Countless other characteristics of what one may traditionally call 'God' can be looked at in this way too - omnipotence, omniscience etc.

What God comes down to for most people is really the unknown X in the universe. And not many people would say that this is an unreasonable belief to have! An unknown, something, whatever, out there which caused the universe and so our existence is quite a rational belief to hold - it's just by using the word 'God' we attach the dogma of religious doctrine to the idea and with religion comes the incoherence of this 'God' which is almost impossible to even logically and coherently explain let alone argue for the existence of.

I think attacking the very idea and one holding a legitimate belief in the first place is much more interesting than going round in circles with the obvious arguments for and against existence.

Not directly related to what I was saying but interesting none the less is Anthony Flew's 'Theology and Falsification' paper, related to that is the Parable of the Invisible Gardener.

verpets.com/go/0sr
verpets.com/go/0ss
Last edited, Jul 8th 2010 @ 7:40 pm
violet338
User
586 posts
That was a real mouthful Joe....
Violet

Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
<- Prev Next ->
- Login or register to reply to join in on Verpets forum discussions! -