Death Querity

Login or Register to find one!
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Next ->
violet338
User
586 posts
Personally I believe there is a God. A perfect person (Jesus) who came to die for our sins. I would like to hear other peoples sides.
Thanks
Last edited, Jun 9th 2010 @ 11:03 pm
Violet

Azazel
User
4,924 posts
God's son died for our sins. Not God himself.

I think that in some cases yes there is a God. do I believe in the Christian Standard? No. I think there is more then that.
"Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka." — Jim Butcher (Dresden Files: Changes)
violet338
User
586 posts
yeah I know that Seither... I guess I should have said Jesus....

What do you mean by in some cases?
Violet

Azazel
User
4,924 posts
I don't get it. You're asking if God exists and yet you mention Jesus..I'm confused.

I think for the most part we run our own lives. I think people take Religion far too seriously as we have and probably always will go so far as to kill people over words in books that are as old as they are.
"Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka." — Jim Butcher (Dresden Files: Changes)
Cyanide
User
778 posts
I dont really know really O: I know that personally I think that Jesus was real and he is apart of history but whether he was divine or not was a whole different story that I am not sure I believe in. I dont personally believe in god but I do think it is important for some people like my brothers. Religion really keeps them happy and they are very open minded.

I can understand why people are religious just like I can understand why some people arent. Personally I cant keep up with religious life probably because most of the energy it takes to be religious is faith which I dont really have.

A really good book that teaches a very unique take on religion is Life of Pi. You dont have to be religious or nonreligious to like it, its just very interesting.
Asmodea
User
1,679 posts
Cy's right- Life of Pi is an awesome book. Read it.

As for God or no God... complicated. I, personally, am agnostic. Means I believe there is some sort of supreme being that helped propel the universe into being, but I don't believe in the Christian god. There's too much proof AGAINST him, and not enough proof FOR him. All the religious arguments that exist FOR his existing are based on faith. Meaning they have no basis in fact. That is what religion is, though: Faith. Either you have it, or you don't.

However... there are more than a few things I've pointed out to religious people before that they refuse to even acknowledge. Faith is a comfort to people, a reassurance that they won't just stop existing after they die. There have been hundreds of religions throughout the history of the earth, all for the same reason.

For you religious people, I have to ask: How come God didn't exist until thousands of years after man-kind came to earth, and had other religions?

Also, just a side note, I don't believe Jesus was a divine figure. I believe he probably existed, but wasn't the son of God.
Cyanide
User
778 posts
Well Spiesty Christians believe that god always has existed and always will. The point of religion isnt to prove that it exists its about just loving and worshiping the god they believe in.

I mean I understand why you think the way you think and I too am not religious but I see no point in trying to convince religious people to be completely not religious. Yes maybe think a little differently but religion is built on a base of love and faith. Its to bad that so many people have died in the name of religion but there are just as many good hearted religious people as there are fanatics.

And of course religious is a comfort, it is a very comforting thing. What do you do when you are religious? You pray and love god and you look up to this higher being that loves you. People can get the same comfort from being in the arms of a loving superior as they can when they believe in god.

For those reasons I would honestly never try to take away someones religion. What I dont agree with is when people act violently to prove a point or go out to scorn of people. Mostly because that in itself is a hypocritical act for a christian to do. Especially when the Christian Messiah was the one who said "let those without sin cast the first stone".
Asmodea
User
1,679 posts
I'm not trying to convince them not to be religious- I guess it kind of came off that way. XD I think people are lucky to have religion. And one of my good friends is a DEEPLY religious guy. We have long conversations about God, and about different aspects of religion, and he puts up with my questions, and musings. I think having religion is a great thing. I think it can be a source of incredible love, and happiness. I just think it's wrong when people use it as an excuse to be violent, or condemn others.

Honestly, my questions stem out of genuine curiosity, not trying to convert people. I wish I still had faith in God. I miss having faith, believing that someone out there, some higher being, cared about me no matter the sins I committed. But. *shrugs*
violet338
User
586 posts
I have to ask: How come God didn't exist until thousands of years after man-kind came to earth, and had other religions?

Spiesty- God gave free will, when he did he enabled people to believe or not believe. He wasn't here millions of years ago but his voice was.

Seither- I know God exists I have no doubt in my mind about it. Jesus is God, God is 3 the father son and holy spirit.

When you think about it, isn't it good to think that you have somewhere to go when you die? Instead of just being in purgatory?
Violet

compaqxp
User
109 posts
I don't believe in any invisible men in the sky. God, Jesus, Allah, etc are all fake works of the human imagination.
Page: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Next ->
- Login or register to reply to join in on Verpets forum discussions! -