Login or Register to find one!
Page: 1
Yagami
User
1,258 posts
What a Debate Is

Definition from Dictionary.com:

Debate (Noun)

A discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints.

A DEBATE IS NOT AN ARGUMENT.

A debate revolves around a single subject and is started by a person holding a particular viewpoint and wishing to hear other people's opinions on the subject. You respond with an explanation of your view point. You may point out flaws and problems with the other person's argument. (Actually, finding flaws in the other party's argument is one of the key factors in debating.)

Your Introductory Post

A good first post on a debate will ask the main question of the topic, supply information on the topic or links to information and will also include the opinion of the poster. (Supplying information is not necessary but is helpful for less common discussion topics such as female circumcision.)

A good example post will be laid out something like this –

What is your opinion on Jumping the Shark?

Jumping the shark is a phrase used when a show reaches a point where it is no longer interesting or funny. The phrase is taken from the Happy Days episode where Fonzie literally jumps a shark while doing his signature pose – it was at this point many fans gave up on Happy Days.

Personally I believe that jumping the shark is purely based upon opinion and that a show can never be truly defined. But I do think that Scrappy-Doo showed the point at which Scooby-Doo jumped the shark.

Look at the post. There's the discussion topic, a brief explanation of the topic and then the poster's opinion. This is a good post.

Posts can be of any length. How ever, having a post of less then five lines and one paragraph is usually an indicator that there is something wrong.

How Not to Debate

The most common mistake is posting only a question or series of questions on the subject. This is not a debate. It's a survey.

The second is producing 'information' that is strictly biased towards your argument. For instance, starting a debate on PETA and only supplying information against it. This is especially crucial for less well known topics.

List of Topics that will be Automatically Locked

This list is subject to change at any time.

____ or _____?

(eg. 1970s or 1980s? Superman or Goku? Cats or Dogs? Girls or Boys?)

Riddles

(eg. If a tree falls in an empty forest, does it make a sound? What is the sound of one man clapping?)

Redundant Issues

(eg. 'The site is under new management!' or 'OMG YAGAMI LOCKED MY TOPIC!')

"I can't go on in a world with out Light."
Page: 1
- Login or register to reply to join in on Verpets forum discussions! -