Black Haika

Login or Register to find one!
Page: 1
lexybubbles
User
9 posts
Do you believe in giving animals rights where they are equal to or even superior to that of humans?

According to Wikipedia (I know, not the most reliable site around, but it works): Animal rights, also referred to as animal liberation, is the idea that the most basic interests of non-human animals should be afforded the same consideration as the similar interests of human beings.

As an example, I'm going to use PETA.

PETA, which stands for People of Ethical Treatment of Animals, and has a slogan, quote, "Animals are not ours to eat, wear, experiment on, or use for entertainment." They reject "speciesism," which means that they believe all species should be treated alike (from my understanding, including all forms of animals).

Also taken from the PETA Wikipedia page:

PETA lobbies governments to impose fines where animal-welfare legislation has been violated, promotes a vegan diet, tries to reform the practices in factory farms and slaughterhouses, goes undercover into animal research laboratories, farms, and circuses, initiates media campaigns against particular companies or practices, helps to find sanctuaries for former circus and zoo animals, and initiates lawsuits against companies.

Although I quoted PETA as my example, I will not limit the topic to surround PETA alone; please feel free to discuss anything that you feel pertains to the Animal Rights debate.

I do have an opinion on this topic, but I want to see what others have to say first, and then I shall make my own reply.
Last edited, Jan 8th 2011 @ 5:57 pm
Nightcrawler
User
1,836 posts
Animals are tasty... :innocent:
Last edited, Jan 8th 2011 @ 6:05 pm
Phoenixy
User
667 posts
I would highly suggest not using PETA as an example for this case. To put it bluntly, they are crazy when it comes to animals. This is coming from the people who yelled at the President of the United States for swatting a fly.

Do I believe in giving animals rights to some degree, yes. Do I believe in giving animals rights equal to or greater than that of humans? No.
Last edited, Jan 8th 2011 @ 6:08 pm
Expressive
User
497 posts
Animals are different, but equal in terms of ecology. They are sentient and deserve respect ( verpets.com/go/hm ), as animals make us human. In terms of human society, they are not the same as humans. They do not deserve to have pain inflicted onto them for our benefit as animal-based research is mostly unable to reliably tell us if a product or medicine is safe for human-use. (I'd link, but I can't Google-fu a quick link that I find personally reliable that I can stand behind. Quick results show ALF and PETA. I did this research in high-school and brought my conclusions that way.) They are not for us to keep in cramped cages as we wait for them to grow to optimal size to use their fur and nothing else of their bodies. (I cannot, as a moral person, link to what I've seen in what I'm referencing.)

Using PETA as an example is telling, unless you honestly don't know they killed 97% of the animals they temporarily saved in 2009 ( verpets.com/go/hn ). They are off-their-rocker crazy and give a bad name to those who honestly care about animals instead of manipulating the masses into donating to their sham and their support of the Animal Liberation Front (full-blown terrorists).

The Humane Society of the United States aren't any better. They are NOT associated with your local humane society you took that stray to one time. Not. In. Any. Form. Are they associated. ( verpets.com/go/ho ) Their propaganda and agenda are exactly the same as PETA.

-munches on a burger- Regardless if you think animals are equal to you as a human being, is it really that hard to treat something with respect that can perceive pain? This is what I meant about how animals make us human. It is if one has the compassion to treat another living creature with the inherent respect it deserves. Sure, they're delicious, and yes, we need the vitamins from their bodies to live a nutritionally-beneficial life. Is it really that hard to give it a quick whack/slice/bullet as opposed to intentionally making it suffer for your pleasure and/or benefit?

The evils concerning the treatment of animals in the present-day setting is simply a baffling subject to me. I have seen monsters, and it has almost always lied within the heart of man... if that's what you could call them.
Last edited, Jan 9th 2011 @ 12:29 pm
xoxo
Leosnake
User
20 posts
While I agree animals should have rights to give them exactly the same rights as humans would not work anyway as they would alsohave to follow the same laws as us which would not work.They do not live in the same way as we do. For eample male lions will kill the young of another male when taking over another pride. Their concept of family and surivial, right and wrong is different from ours so should we trail them for murder.

Ok bit of an odd example but the point I'm trying to make is certain rights go hand in hand with certain rules to insure that other people have the same rights. I'm sorry if my example didn't make much sense to the topic in question.

But animal rights yes, Human rights for animals no as there are too many various species out there that have many various needs all quite different from our own so if we do give animals more rights they should be based on that and not what we deem to be righjts based on our own. If that makes nay sort of sense.
Last edited, Jan 9th 2011 @ 7:53 pm
Page: 1
- Login or register to reply to join in on Verpets forum discussions! -